Want to earn money online? If your answer is yes, you maybe have heard the word “freelancing” at least once. What is freelancing and how to start freelancing anyway – these are some common questions you may have in mind.
Because of the lack of proper guidance, freelancing in Bangladesh has always been a complex topic. But it doesn’t have to be complex at all. Let’s get to know what is freelancing and how you can earn money online in Bangladesh by freelancing.
What is Freelancing
Freelancing basically means working independently without being under the contract of an organization. Currently, the term “freelancing” refers to contract-based work. Instead of an organization, the individual himself provides a service using his skills and experience in freelancing.
In simple words, when a person uses his/her skills, education, and experience to work for multiple clients without being under an organization, then that work is called freelancing. And the person who does freelancing is a freelancer. Most freelancing jobs can be done from home. However, many jobs may require working at the client’s office. Clients outsource workers to freelance.
Things You Need To Start Freelancing
What you need to start freelancing depends on the nature of the work. Many people claim that if you have the skills, you can do it over the phone. However, that only works for some specific tasks. Not all jobs can be done on your phone. However, there are some common requirements to start freelancing these days. You’ll need the following to start freelancing:
- A computer or laptop
- Internet Connection
Best Freelancing Websites in Bangladesh
There are countless freelancing websites to earn money online. But some websites have proven to be better than the rest. Here’s a list of the best freelancing websites in Bangladesh:
- Fiverr: You can find gigs worth $5 dollars to a huge amount on Fiverr. Gigs like content writing, graphics and logo designing, web development, music, and arts, etc. are very popular on Fiverr. Content writing, graphics and logo design, etc. are popular freelancing jobs on Fiverr. Freelancers post gigs on Fiverr and buyers can hire freelancers of their choice. Payment in Fiverr is based on work. Earned money from Fiverr can be withdrawn through PayPal, Pioneer, and Bank Transfer.
- Upwork: Task-based and hourly payment – both types of work are available on Upwork. Clients looking for freelancers post their requirements on Upwork. Freelancers then send requests for posted jobs. The buyer then selects the freelancer of his choice. Withdrawals from Upwork can be made through PayPal, Pioneer, and Bank Transfers.
- Freelancer.com: Freelancer.com offers both task-based and hourly-based freelancing gigs. This site consists of a large number of jobs and freelancers. Freelancer.com lets you withdraw earnings through PayPal, Skrill, Pioneer, and Bank Transfer.
- PeoplePerHour: Even though the site is named PeoplePerHour, it features task-based gigs as well. You can withdraw earnings via PayPal, Skrill, and Bank Transfers.
- Guru.com: You can find freelancing jobs of any kind, from graphics design to web development on Guru.com. You have to post your experience and types of skills here. Then the clients will find you if your skills meet their requirements. PayPal, Payoneer, etc. are some of the mediums through which you can withdraw earnings.
- Belancer: You can find freelancing jobs ranging from BDT100 to any amount on the Bangladeshi freelancing platform, Belancer. You get paid for task-based jobs. Belancer lets you cash out via both bKash and Bank Freelancers. Belancer even lets you withdraw earnings by visiting their office.
How to Start a Freelancing Career in Bangladesh
If you want to start a freelancing career in Bangladesh, then you follow the given steps below:
- First of all, make sure that you can provide enough time to pursue freelancing as your primary hustle. You can do it part-time, sure. But then you have equal chances of success and failure. Most successful freelancers advise you to give it your
- If the answer to the previous question is yes, then you have to think of which kind of work you can actually do. It’s better to choose some field where you somehow already have expertise.
- If you don’t have any skills to start freelancing, then you first acquire skills to get started. It’s better to learn something that you’re interested in. You can take help from any professional. Plus you have online courses and YouTube.
- After acquiring the required skills, you can start freelancing. We mentioned some of the top sites to start freelancing. Pick one, create an account, and start posting gigs or finding work. Try to understand the features and make use of those.
- Start small and work your way to the top. Remember, you can’t just start freelancing and earn thousands of dollars. It takes a lot of time and patience to establish yourself as a successful freelancer. Start with small gigs or works to kickstart your career as a freelancer faster. After getting several good ratings, eventually, you’ll start receiving gigs with bigger amounts.
- After you put in enough time, you’ll have a good portfolio. This will help clients understand your skills better and you will be hired more often.
- Try to make your network larger, more people will know you by this and you’ll receive more work easily via mutual connections.
Popular Freelancing Skills
Any kind of skills can be used for freelancing. But some skills are more popular than others. Some of the most common freelancing skills are:
- Developer / Coder / Programmer
- Content Writer / Copywriter
- Marketing Professional
- HR Manager
- SEO Professional
- PR & Branding
- Data Entry
Yes, there are countless jobs you’ll find on freelancing websites but to land jobs, you need to have proper skills. You have to earn a skill by obviously learning it, so that’s why skills are very much appreciated in this field.
How To Learn Freelancing in Bangladesh
Learning freelancing refers to learning skills that you’ll need for freelancing. You have to choose any certain skill to start or learn to freelance. You can choose from any above-mentioned skills to get started.
Recently LEDP (Learning and Earning Development Project) has launched a government project where you will be taught freelancing by professionals. You will also receive a certificate after you complete the courses. The following courses are offered on this project:
- Web Development
- Graphics Design
- Digital Marketing
To register, head over to http://ledp.ictd.gov.bd/ and fill up the registration form.
Freelancing skills can be learned through various mediums. There are coaching centers available for learning freelancing skills. But there are tutorials on almost every skill that you want to learn on YouTube. Plus there are enough courses online to get the job done. Always try to make use of the resources you have in hand.
How To Be A Successful Freelancer
If you want to be a successful freelancer, then you have to follow certain steps. To be a successful freelancer, you’ll have to follow these steps:
- You have to use your skills, experience, and knowledge to shine the best in the things you do. Always try to avoid beginner mistakes.
- Try to improve your communication skills. You’ll meet various kinds of people in this field of work. Your communication skills will play a huge role here to be successful.
- Always maintain professionalism in both your work and communication. Your professionalism will make your clients come back to you again and again.
- Learn how to properly use your time. Optimize your work and work hours by analyzing your process of working.
- If you just started freelancing, don’t lose your patience. Keep trying and have confidence. You will be successful in no time!
How Much Can You Earn by Freelancing?
“How much can you earn by freelancing” – has to be the most asked question about freelancing ever. Actually, there’s no limit to it. You can earn as much as you want by freelancing. Your earnings as a freelancer depend on how much work you’re getting and how much the clients are paying you for your work.
Freelancing in Bangladesh FAQ
You’ll need skills, time, a computer, and an internet connection to start freelancing.
There is no limit on how much you can earn from freelancing. You can earn as much as you work and get paid for it.
Freelancing Career in Bangladesh
Bangladesh is one of the prime hubs of freelancing in the whole world. As Bangladeshi youth are focusing more on developing skills, you’re about to see the biggest growth in this sector. So we can easily say that the future of a freelancing career is very much filled with possibilities.
Not only youth but many professionals are choosing freelancing over a full-time job. However, we are not saying quit your job and start freelancing! Because to get to that point you have to build a very strong portfolio. You also have to make a lot of money before you can replace your full-time job with freelancing. That takes a lot of time and patience. So start small and work your way up. If you’re consistent, patient, and motivated, you will soon see success.